Miss America bosses slammed in email scandal

The messages were sent from and to chief executive Sam Haskell.

They have already cost the organisation its television partner.

In the emails, the appearance and sex life of Miss America 2013, Mallory Hagan, were mocked.

Following the death of another Miss America, a former writer on the show said he wished it had been 1998 winner Kate Shindle instead. In his response to that message, Mr Haskell indicated it had made him laugh.

In addition, Mr Haskell wrote about tactics that would drive 1989 winner Gretchen Carlson “insane”.

The Huffington Post, which said it had got the emails from two sources, reported that Ms Carlson had clashed with Mr Haskell and other pageant officials over her desire to modernise the organisation.

MILWAUKEE, WI - MARCH 10: Kate Shindle attends the 2nd annual Grand Slam Charity Jam at the Potawatomi Bingo Casino on March 10, 2012 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. (Photo by Mike McGinnis/Getty Images)*** Local Caption *** Kate Shindle
Image:Kate Shindle has written a book critical of the Miss America Organisation

Ms Shindle, who has written a book which is critical of the Miss America Organisation, said on Twitter: “The entire board of directors must immediately resign, including and especially Sam Haskell.”

The content of the emails made her “physically ill”, she added.

“No woman should be demeaned with such vulgar slurs,” Ms Carlson said.

And in her response, Ms Hagan said that “having somebody bully you, demean you, degrade you in any way is not OK”.

She hoped the emails’ publication would “bring light to the type of behaviour that’s been in leadership of the Miss America Organisation and really help us put in place some people who care and who embody the mission of Miss America”.

There are calls for Miss America CEO Sam Haskell to quit
Image:There are calls for Miss America chief executive Sam Haskell to quit

The Miss America Organisation said Mr Haskell had apologised and that it is revising its communication policies.

It added that it considered the matter closed.

But there is a question mark over the pageant’s future on TV.

It is broadcast from Atlantic City’s Boardwalk Hall the week after Labor Day each year.

Dick Clark Productions told the AP news agency it had cut its ties with the organisation after the emails’ publication, saying it found their content “appalling”.

Share this story

Nathan Spackman

Nathan is the Operations Director at Bro Radio. You'll hear him reading local news, hosting at local events and presenting our facebook live videos.