Officers are reminding residents to be vigilant following recent thefts of cars in Barry.
South Wales Police say they have seen an increases in thefts of motor vehicles in the past few weeks in Barry.
Some of the vehicles were insecure.
To minimise the risk of falling victim, the force says residents should ensure their cars are locked when unattended and to keep all keys out of view – ideally taking keys upstairs when going to bed – and away from windows, doors and catflaps.
Thieves can use software to pick up the signal omitted by keyless entry systems to gain access to vehicles.
It is recommended that you talk to your car dealer about security measures relevant to your model.
For example some keyless entry fobs can be turned off when not in use.
Other crime prevention tips:
• Park vehicles in a garage or on a driveway
• Park in areas that are well lit and avoid areas which are in cover of darkness or obscured from any public view
• Never leave any personal items on show inside the vehicle
• Don’t leave evidence of valuables i.e. windscreens marks caused by sat navs
• Be vigilant and report suspicious behaviour
Anyone with any concerns can call us on 101 or 999 in an emergency.
Nathan is the Operations Director and one half of Vale Breakfast on Bro Radio. You'll hear him reading local news, hosting at local events and presenting our facebook live videos.