The Vale of Glamorgan Council will provide funding of more than £50,000 to complete a study into potential transport improvements in Dinas Powys.
After Welsh Government opted not to commit any more money to the work, this investment will ensure the Welsh Transport Appraisal Guidance (WelTAG) Stage 2 study is concluded.
Contractors Arcadis Consulting Ltd have been selected to carry out the work and it is anticipated the public will be consulted on its outcomes early next year.
These could include improvements to active travel and public transport as well as the possibility of a bypass for the village.
Cllr Peter King, Vale of Glamorgan Council Cabinet Member for Neighbourhood Services and Transport, said: “It is important that this latest stage of work to explore potential travel improvements for Dinas Powys is completed so we can accurately plot the best way forward.
“To that end, the Council has decided to provide the remaining funding for the WelTAG Stage 2 study and this work will commence in the near future. Afterwards, the conclusions will be thoroughly considered, along with opinions of all interested parties, before any decisions on what follows are taken.”
Specifically, the work will involve:
- Engaging with Network Rail to understand the constraints and potential costs associated with constructing a bypass and junction in the vicinity of the existing railway tunnel.
- Undertaking concept design, modelling and costing of suggested improvements to the Merrie Harrier junction to improve capacity. These will be considered in the context of costs associated with the pink and green route options.
- Commissioning Transport for Wales to carry out strategic modelling using the South East Wales Transport Model of the bypass proposals.
- Updating the economic appraisal for the green/pink route alignment and updating the transport case along with the Stage 2 report.
- Undertaking public consultation on the findings of the Stage 2 report, finalising it and making recommendations to be taken forward to the WelTAG Stage 3 Full Business Case.
Nathan is the Operations Director and one half of Vale Breakfast on Bro Radio. You'll hear him reading local news, hosting at local events and presenting our facebook live videos.