Studio: 01446 420593 / Office: 01446 420681

6th June 2019

Police Plea for People with Proof

BY: Nathan Spackman

An on-duty police officer was seriously - But not fatally - injured yesterday night (Wednesday 5th June) as Police where completing a chase that lead to the closure of the M4.

The incident happened between junctions 30 (Cardiff Gate) and 32 (Coryton interchange) approximately 6.15pm Wednesday.

South Wales Police said they intercepted a white Toyota Hilux. The driver a 32-year-old from East Sussex, was arrested at the incident on suspicion of dangerous driving, causing serious injury by dangerous driving and harassment.

The police officer at the scene had received hospital treatment although its been reported that no life threatening injury has been done.

People around the area had described there being more police presence than normal on the M4 before it was closed and the Air ambulance arrived on the carriageway shortly before 7pm.

An articulated lorry driver who was overtaken by the chase said: "Within minutes of getting on the motorway at J35 I saw four marked police traffic cars travelling westbound towards Bridgend.

"A few minutes later I was passed by the white Toyota Hilux travelling at speed, with six police vehicles in pursuit, his driving was very erratic.

"A further three police vehicles passed me, and I thought that was the end of it. The Hilux must have left the motorway at some point and then rejoined it later as after I had passed Coryton I saw an unmarked police vehicle parked in the hard shoulder and in my rear view mirror many blue lights approaching.

"The Hilux passed me again, but this time looked disabled in some way, the police had boxed him in and were pushing him towards the hard shoulder right in front of me.

"I was almost boxed in with the vehicle, and had to take evasive action to stop hitting a police car that was sticking out into the main carriageway. Luckily I got through unscathed."

A South Wales Police spokeswoman said: "The carriageway was closed for several hours while investigations were completed and the public are thanked for their patience.

"Any witnesses or anyone with dash-cam footage of the incident, who has not yet spoken to police, is asked to contact police on 101, quoting occurrence 1900203096."

Other content you may like:
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram