Calls for A48 review after Bonvilston tragedy

Ted Peskett

There have been calls for an urgent review into safety on the A48 after three men were killed in a collision near Bonvilston.

A blue Ford Puma car collided with a red and black Scania tipper lorry at just before 5pm on Tuesday evening.

The three men killed - a 51 year-old from Porthcawl, a 34 year-old from Bridgend and a 48 year-old from Ferndale - have yet to be formally named.

It marked the fifth fatality on the stretch of road in the last two years.

Last October, Mark Orpin (35) from Port Talbot was killed in a two-vehicle collision near Gibbet Hill on the Cowbridge bypass.

And a nursing student from India, Helna Marie Siby, died in hospital over a month after a car crash near St Nicholas last May.

South Wales Central MS Andrew RT Davies has called on the Welsh Government to commission an engineering review.

The MS said: "My heart goes out to the families of those who have lost their lives in this tragic accident. It is devastating that this is the fifth fatality on this road in such a short period."

"Senedd ministers must commission an urgent engineering review of this stretch of road to fully assess the risks and identify what measures can be taken to avoid more lives being lost."

"As the A48 is part of the trunk road network, ministers have a direct responsibility to ensure it is safe."

Last year, the Local Democracy Reporting Service (LDRS) covered a campaign by Bonvilston residents to reduce the speed limit on the A48 from 40mph to 30mph.

One local business owner, Andrew Morgan, said people in the village had been calling for such measures for many years.

He told the LDRS last April that drivers went over the 40mph limit "all the time...especially in the early hours of the morning."

“The other problem is the police are understaffed and we haven’t got a police force to man it.”

Another resident, Nigel Morgan, who moved into his house in the village six years ago, said: "We thought the speed level was going to be reduced… and that the road was going to be resurfaced."

“It really should be 30mph maximum and the road should be re-done."

He added that some people were driving through the village at "ridiculous speeds", singling out motorbikes for making "the most awful noise".

In response, Vale of Glamorgan Council told the LDRS last April that the A48 through Bonvilston could not be reviewed until 2025, when the Welsh Government published updated guidance on setting other speed limits.

They added the A48 was an "emergency diversion route" for the M4.

Additional reporting by Ted Peskett - local democracy reporter for Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan.

Do you have a story to share? Email News@broradio.fm 

 

More from Bro Radio Newsroom

Vale Weather

  • Thu

    17°C

  • Fri

    20°C

  • Sat

    18°C

  • Sun

    16°C

  • Mon

    16°C

More from Bro Radio

Local events

Radio
Online
App
Smart Speaker